Evan has wanted to grow a garden for the past 3 summers now. I have been pregnant for the last 3 summers and have been able to talk him out of it until now. He really wanted to grow one this year and everyone promised to help so I decided to give it a try.

Russ was gracious enough to till up the ground. Pregnant or not this is
hard work and I am grateful for his help. We decided to put our garden in our backyard which is full of weeds. I was not so sure anything would grow there but we decided to give it a shot

We have 2 big dogs so decided a fence might help deter them from the veggies. So far it has worked a little but I have seen them in the garden a few times. Evan and Wyatt helped put in the posts. Sweet little Evan hit his thumb a few times but was a pretty good sport about it.

After we got the ground ready it was time to put in the seeds. Evan was so excited, their excitement dimmed a little when the next day they didn't "bloom" into plants. It has been a patience game for all of us.

Lola, as always a happy on looker.

Mommy and Wyatt putting seeds in the ground. Wyatt was good for a couple rows and then decided he'd rather play with the horses and jump on the trampoline. Evan stayed out there with me until it was all planted. He was quite the little helper.

Evan spaced out his seeds by putting a seed, then my glove, then a seed, then my glove, etc. He was very good at following the pattern. We planted corn,
zucchini, squash, cucumbers, peas, peppers, tomatoes, watermelon, and pumpkins. All of which came up. Wyatt was helping me pull weeds last week and hacked off my only jalapeno, and the
cantaloupe never came up.

Wyatt hanging out with Paco, and Stella. He loves the horses. I have learned a lot in growing our garden this year. First and foremost it is a ton of work, most of which the kids have not been too enthusiastic about doing. There are more weeds than I know what to do with and being committed to pulling them everyday is a struggle. Fresh grown veggies taste the best and I have had a sense of pride in my accomplishments, and that patience is the key. I have also learned that after seeding, watering, growing, pulling weeds, and killing bugs I still cannot get Evan to eat the wonderful
zucchini he wanted to plant in the first place.
No comments:
Post a Comment