Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A True Navajo Woman

Okay, first a little bit of history. Every "good" Navajo woman knows how to make fry bread; it is in their blood. They come out just being able to flap the bread into a thin, round, circle, and then proceed to fry to perfection. As many of you know I am only half Navajo and half Caucasian; however my bread making skills are as Caucasian as they come. My sweet husband has requested that I try making fry bread before, probably about 5 years ago when we were first married. Being the good little wife, I tried, and ended up making us both sick. How I don't know because it is just flour, water, salt, and baking powder. But I did and he hasn't asked me to make it since. He's a quick learner. On Sunday I made stew, so of course Russell wanted fry bread. I steer as far clear from this request as possible, but I knew he wanted it so I decided to try again; if he would be brave enough to eat it. This is my bread, it seriously turned out awesome. I was so excited; and it didn't make anyone sick. Russell was super excited too, which made me feel like a better wife and I really appreciated his enthusiasm.
Evan loves fry bread too, and proceeded to eat 2 pieces which made me feel better about it. Because kids are about as honest as they come. He made his own piece, and we fried it up too which was really cute. Here is Wyatt, he had a little bread too but not too much because the grease is bad for his stomach.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Yay Jenn! Way to go!